Friday, January 18, 2008

Car Fiasco

Tuesday night got pretty 'ugly' outside. It was artic conditions-freezing cold, windy, and snowy. I was okay with just staying home for once, doing some homework, and drinking some hot tea. I was planning on trying to get to school a little early so I could at least run through some warm-ups on my trumpet before my 8am class (crazy, I know). So I wake up the next morning and go out to start my car and guess what? Yup, it wouldn't start. I called a couple people and found someone that was willing to crawl out of bed and attempt to help me. We tried jumping my car but that didn't work. Since I know nothing about cars, I knew I could do nothing. My car was also parked in a 90-minute zone which didn't help with the stress level of the situation, but I knew I had to get to school because I had a quiz in my first class and a jam-packed rest of the day. So we start driving and what do I do? Spill coffee on my pants! Since I don't like the feeling of just wetting my pants, I had my friend take me back to my apartment to change. I finally get to class to catch the last few minutes. The rest of the day was crazy too, my fullest day of classes, not to mention a make-up trumpet lesson and a jazz sectional in my only free hour. Four o'clock finally rolled around when my class finally ended, then I got a call that my grandparents were in town. So, I caught a ride into town and had dinner with my parents, grandparents, and two aunts. It's always great to see them! Especially when not expected. :) After dinner, back out to school for jazz band. By time that was over, I felt completely exhausted. It was one of those days I knew I was going to have eventually, where you feel like life's spiraling out of control and you're flying threw space with nothing to grab onto. I tried to do some homework while I waited for a ride but I couldn't really focus. I finally made it home a couple hours later and didn't even know what to do with myself! I felt like a mess. Then, guess what happened? My wonderful neighbor had the perfect remedy-wine! I even had a thought while I was at school that I could use a glass of wine. Not a bottle, not 'drink 'till you can't feel feelings anymore,' just one glass! And that's just what I did, had a glass of wine and relaxed with a couple friends. Even though I "should've" been doing homework or "should've" been sleeping, I feel like that time was more needed than anything, especially the friends. :) Thursday, though I was a bit tired, I felt reenergized and refreshed, a complete turnaround. Thank you friends (and wine!)!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh babe! that sucks about your car and your hectic day!! i think you handled it in the best way, and ending the night with a glass of wine is so damn comforting sometimes! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Yes, stress can get out of control sometimes...it has hit me occasionally too! They say that some stress is actually good for us but what counts is how you handle it and not let it take you over. I think you did a good job of handling it. There is just nothing like friends to help you through!